In the past few months, I’ve been, shall we say: working on my fitness 💪 This has led me to take on the (noble?) quest of finding the best recipe for protein pancakes. I’m talking, smooth, moist, flavorful, all around good tasting pancakes. It hasn’t been easy, I’ve tried multiple types of protein powders, ingredients, cooking methods, but I think I’ve finally found the answer.
Simplicity is key. These pancakes contain only four ingredients (protein powder + pumpkin + eggs + baking powder) and are gluten-free. Quality ingredients are also important. I’ve made these pancakes with all kinds of protein powders but one stands above all the rest: Paleo Protein Grass-Fed Beef Protein Powder. It just dissolves so smoothly, absolutely no grittiness. After sampling a multitude of vegan powders this was an absolute dream. If you’re opposed to whey for any reason, and not vegan, I highly recommend it. Fellow scientists will recognize that lyophilized animal protein can be hard to get in solution (I suggest an actual blender), but once it’s in, it won’t precipitate, which means you can mix up protein shakes way ahead of time and keep them in the fridge for the week.
It’s also the best protein powder I’ve found for fluffy moist pancakes! These are a nice, warm alternative to cold shakes and smoothies when you’re looking to get your macros in the winter months.
Protein Power Pancakes
Serves 1 (recipe’s worth of pancakes – 320 kcal, 5g fat, 22g carbs, 6g fiber, 40g protein)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup egg beaters (can sub 1/2 cup egg whites or 2 whole eggs)
- 1 scoop protein powder (Paleo protein powder mentioned above, but any should work)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 ounce semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Whisk together pumpkin puree and eggs of choice until very well combined, add baking powder and whisk until well combined.
- Add the protein powder; carefully whisk to start, and then vigorously whisk until as well combined as possible. Let sit for a 2-3 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick pan on stove, and grease/spray with the oil of your choice.
- Ladle out ~1/4 cup of batter and smooth to circular shape. Drop in chocolate chips throughout (if using).
- Wait to flip pancake until bubbles appear and edges are firm. These are very moist pancakes so after flipping puncture the top of pancake several times with fork or toothpick to allow steam to escape.
- Repeat until all batter is consumed (don’t worry the first pancake is never perfect for anyone!). Top with syrup, seeds, butter, whatever you want!